Narcissists can be difficult people to deal with. It‘s all about them, all the time, they never think of others. It can be very painful if you have a narcissist in your life who constantly tramples on your feelings.
Valerie’s cousin, Olivia, who lived in Ireland had always been self-centred. Val had secretly thought that she was a narcissist after witnessing really selfish behavior for years.
Val was going through a really tough time in her personal life, her first serious relationship was over. Her boyfriend, who she lived with, had left her and she found out that he was seeing another woman behind her back. In his belongings, she found an 8 by 11 picture of a woman with a big hook nose, who wrote on the picture to the sweetest man I have ever known. Val was devastated both by the beak up and by the betrayal and just could not stop crying.
Her cousin Olivia had planned to visit and was meeting a guy she met online in London. When she arrived, Val was still feeling very distraught and could not stop crying that her relationship was over.
Olivia did not have any empathy for Val’s situation and could not understand why she was feeling down and wasn’t super sparkly. Olivia said to Val, “are you just jealous because I have a date?” Val couldn’t believe that her narcissistic cousin could make the worst moment of her life all about her.
If someone keeps ignoring your feelings and making everything about them, you might want to consider making a few changes in the relationship. Here are a few things to say if you get fed up with the narcissist in your life.
Top ten comebacks for a narcissist
- If you live your life like everything is about you. You will be left with just that. Just you.
- I’m not an astronomer but I am pretty sure the earth revolves around the sun and not you.
- I’m sorry, I forgot I only exist when you want something.
- Sorry you’re mad that the world doesn’t revolve around you. Let me pour you a tall glass of get over it.
- Thank you for reminding me of how self centered and hypocritical you are. I had almost forgotten.
- Sorry my self-absorption got in the way of yours.
- Your problem is not knowing you’re the problem.
- There is not a sponge in the world that can rival your self-absorption.
- Get over yourself, not everyone wants to be you.
- Oh yes, let’s ignore everything I just said and talk some more about you.
More top ten comeback lists you might like
- Top ten comebacks for for frenemies
- Top ten comebacks for haters
- Check out with our top ten comeback lists
Get snappy comebacks delivered to your inbox
Got any comments, questions or tips for dealing with a narcissist? Share them in the comments below.