Some people think they are just being proud when in reality they come across as boastful and over the top when they brag about their accomplishments, money or material possessions.
Most braggers are insecure and feel the need to inflate their ego to appear bigger in front of their peers. People who are confident about who they really are don’t feel the need to show off and seek attention, and approval from others.
I saw a humble brag post on Facebook recently. A mom posted her son’s straight-A report card as a post. It was in such bad taste, a report card is a personal matter and sharing it publicly with others is just uncouth. Next, the bragging mom will be sharing her work reviews or yearly bonus on Facebook.
If their bragging exceeds the limit beyond which you can put up with, here are a few snappy comebacks to stop the bragger in their tracks.
What to say to someone who constantly brags
- Do you ever get off Facebook long enough to live the life you keep bragging about?
- Why don’t you show more confidence and less arrogance.
- Being humble shows how confident you are, bragging only shows how insecure you pretend not to be.
- Wow, I bet you even fart glitter.
- May your life be as great as you pretend it is on Facebook.
- No matter how big your car is, how recent your car is, or how big your bank account is our graves will always be the same size. Stay humble.
- I love hearing you show off.
- I just want to let you know it’s possible to do X, and not brag about it on Facebook.
- If you are really good at something you don’t have to brag about it yourself. Other people will do that for you.
- I call bullshit!
More top ten comeback lists you might like
Got any comments, questions or tips for dealing with someone who brags? Share them in the comments below.