People who try to control your every move do so because they themselves are insecure. You may be with a controlling person if they constantly criticize everything you do, isolate you from your friends and family, and try to change you while squashing your self-confidence and self-esteem.
I knew a flight attendant whose boyfriend, Dazza, would call her twenty times a day wanting to know her every move. Isabelle had to call him before going out, he wanted to know where she was going and if she didn’t tell him beforehand he would get very angry. After a couple of years of his controlling behaviour, she received a phone call from another woman who said that she thought they had the same boyfriend.
Isabelle didn’t think it could possibly be true, she went over to the woman’s house and there was a picture of her boyfriend and this woman. There were messages from him on her answering machine saying how much he loved her. The crazy thing is Dazza was just as controlling with his second girlfriend as he was with Isabelle.
Here are some snappy comebacks to let the controlling person know that you are not interested in being controlled or told what to do.
What to say to a controlling person
- If I was meant to be controlled I’d come with a remote.
- You. Cut out that egocentric control bullshit now.
- I’m sorry that the control freak in you activates the psycho bitch in me.
- There is nothing wrong with being a control freak if your controlling your words, behaviour and attitude.
- I’m going to need you to turn down your psycho for just a bit.
- I find it curious how people who have no self-control and respect for your feelings are the same people who demand self-control for you.
- Everyone has a right to an opinion, and I have a right not to listen to it.
- Go find someone else to control because you are not controlling me.
- When you try to control everything you enjoy nothing.
- People often forget that it is your own choice of how you want to spend the rest of your life.
More comebacks you might like
- Top ten comebacks for complainers
- Top ten comebacks for fake friends
- Check out a few more of our top ten lists
Get snappy comebacks delivered to your inbox
* indicates required
Got any comments, questions or tips for dealing for dealing with a controlling person? Share them in the comments below.