If someone really likes you, turning them down can be awkward and uncomfortable and usually, it is better to be direct, and not lead anyone on. When it comes to romance the chemistry is either there or it isn’t. People would rather know that they don’t have a chance with you and be able to move on and explore other opportunities.
Thinking that your being nice and delaying the inevitable of telling someone that you’re not into them is wasting their time and yours. If you can’t find the strength to let someone down gently, then you can always use the excuse that you already have someone in your life.
There is always the person who just doesn’t get the hint or won’t take no for an answer. They keep thinking they will have a chance or can win you over, obviously, this approach must work or they wouldn’t keep doing it. When someone just doesn’t get the hint and keeps asking you out, try a few of the more direct comebacks below to get your point across. Hopefully, they will finally get the message and move on.
Top ten ways to turn someone down
- Although it would be nice, not anytime soon
- I wish I could, but it’s just not going to work right now.
- I’m sorry, but I need to focus on myself right now.
- I never do X on days that end in “Y.”
- Sorry, I’m busy. I’m teaching my ferret to yodel.
- No thanks, my wife would kill me.
- I’m sure you’ll make some girl that isn’t me really, really happy some day.
- I’d probably be more into this if the pregnancy test I took this morning hadn’t been positive.
- If only I hadn’t just enrolled in a convent…
No, I’m staying home to work on my cottage cheese sculpture.
More top ten comeback lists you might like
- You’re still single, I guess you must be pretty picky?
- Top ten comebacks for people who bother you
- More comebacks you might like
Got any comments, questions or tips for dealing for dealing with turning someone down? Share them in the comments below.